A Message from St. Andrew's Church
Welcome to St. Andrew’s situated in the heart of Girton village. We aim to be a friendly, inclusive Christian community who strive to follow the model of church presented at the beginning of the book of Acts. To put it simply, we aim to enjoy church worship, informal prayer and opportunities for fellowship: concerts, social events and parties (!)
We welcome and encourage local Christians to support us as the local church. We are willing to change and to support and to embrace new gifts.
As a church, our strength is the commitment members have towards one another and the informal pastoral care that is offered within the community.
We take the authority of Scripture seriously and adhere to tradition insofar as it is relevant for the wider contemporary community of which we are a part.
We offer a variety of services:
- Holy Communion and Evensong derived from the Book of Common Prayer (using traditional language).
- Holy Communion and Morning Prayer using contemporary language from Common Worship.
- An All Age service which happens on every second Sunday of the month at 10am. This is a much more informal service particularly suitable for families.
- Recently we have started a Service of Prayer for Healing which happens roughly once a quarter on Sunday evenings at 6pm. This service uses liturgy from the Iona Community.
- There is a lay-led Taizé service of music and reflection at 8pm on the first Sunday of the month at Girton College Chapel. But could you arrive at 7:45pm to sing through chants.
Services apart, we have a host of other groups within the life of the church:
Action Abroad administers and develops our support of overseas mission.
The Choir are a lively and dedicated group who rehearse once a fortnight and who participate with diocesan music events when time permits. They are always looking out for new members. Expertise is less important than enthusiasm!
Friends of Girton Churchyard get together at regular intervals to maintain our beautiful, tranquil burial ground.
The Friends of St. Andrew’s organise a host of social events including general knowledge quizzes, concerts and, not least, the Open Gardens event which coincides with Girton Feast Week. The monies raised support specific projects undertaken by St. Andrew’s.
We also have a drama group which , over the past 3 years, has performed an annual evening of readings and music during Advent and a couple of excellent plays; ‘Murder in the Cathedral’ and ‘No Name in the Street’. More productions are on the way…
Do come and join us at St. Andrew’s.
- Parish Office and Rectory
- 42 Church Lane
- CB3 0JP